Safety Tip: January
Housekeeping is a very important part of your job. Not only does it improve the overall appearance of your shop or work area,
Reasons to keep your work area clean:
1. You reduce trip and fall hazards.
2. Increased production. You won’t have to waste time looking for a misplaced tool. You will always know where your tools are when you put them where they belong after you use them.
3. If someone falls because of materials you left on the floor, you will feel guilty because you were a causal factor in the accident. Also, the injured worker may want to remind you of that!
4. You reduce a potential fire hazard by removing unneeded combustibles from the work area.
5. First impressions influence the outcome of inspections.
Tips to maintain a clean work area:
- Plan the job. Make a list of the needed tools/materials. This will help to minimize unnecessary clutter around your work area.
- Develop a routine for cleaning up as you work. Do not wait until the end of the shift.
- Do not eat, drink or smoke in the work area, not only because of litter
problems,but also because of hygiene concerns.
- Take responsibility for yourself and your work area!
A clean work area is a safe and productive work area.